Wednesday, March 25, 2009

So, as many of you know, I decided to give coaching Maddy's team another try after much pleading on the associations part, and hesitation on my part!! We had our meeting and met the girls and decided on team colors etc. A dad from our ward who's daughter is playing for the first time, offered to be my assistant coach. Great!! I know him well and he was very excited and eager to help!! Our first practice was this past Monday night. It had been rainy and cold, but hey, if we wait for good weather and cancelled every time there was rain, we would never have practice here in Bremerton!! So we get to practice, and start doing some drills, having a little fun in the rain. I had asked Aaron, my assistant coach, to hit some balls out to the girls for some fielding, like we had done all practice! Well, he tossed the ball up to hit it, swang and somehow twisted his knee and down he went, hard! He is big guy and I knew I couldn't get him to move at all. Well, he was is so much pain that he finally had us call an ambulance! So in a few minutes they came, had to cut a lock off of the school fence to drive onto the field, the WET field I might add, to get closer to him. So they get him on the gurney and wheel him to the ambulance, I'm on the phone with his wife and his daughter is freaking out and freezing. I ended practice early since all the girls were frozen and cold too! So now the ambulance is ready to take him off to the hospital, and they get stuck in the muddy grass. Wheels a spinnin and getting deeper into the mud! Oh great!!! So now they have to call another ambulance to come and transfer him to the hospital and a tow truck to pull out the stuck vehicle!! (So sorry Aaron!!! I Hope you feel better soon!) So I'm thinking Bad Omen for my season!!! Why ME??!!! Should have hesitated more!!! Its going to be a long few months!! Dave is assisting on Kendra's team, and they changed their practice schedule from my off nights, to the same nights and times as my practices, so Dave can't even come and lend me a hand either!
So, needless to say, I am now without my assistant coach on the first practice and the other parents don't really seem to care that I am flying solo with this team!!! Oh, and to add to it, one of the Dad's at the meeting was so upset with me when he asked, "So Coach, Where did you play college softball? You have played professionally havent you?? " Then I told him No, not even in HS (could have made the team easily though) but I played rec league for many years and I am pretty good, I know the rules and I love the game! Well I got the "eye roll" from him and he walked off! Well Buddy, why didnt you step up to the plate then and coach if you are going to judge me who is volunteering and willing to teach these sweet girls?? Huh??!! Most of the time, it is the parents that really are the ones who make coaching difficult. Can I pull my hair out now??!! Is it too much to ask for Spring to finally show up, thaw and dry us out, and possibly get some parent involvement for a change??? Oh how I love it when I am bombarded with a crazy life!!! Welcome to Softball season at my house!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers